Re: How to find the exact size a button is going to get?

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 09:36 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> varun shrivastava wrote:
>>
>>> you can access GtkAllocation structure which stores the x, y, width
>>> and height allocated to a widget
>>>
>> That will (only) give me the size of an existing widget, won't it?
>>
>> Not what I'm looking for; as I was saying, I want to know what size a
>> widget will have without actually creating it. Or differently put, I'd
>> like to know the "rules" for margins/borders that are drawn around a
>> widget I add to a button.
>>

> gtk_widget_size_request() is your friend.

Hmmm. I still don't understand how this is supposed to help we when the
widget doesn't exist. Perhaps I'm a bit slow today...

Maybe I could create one "fake" widget and calculate the offsets or
borders based on that, but is this really necessary? Isn't there a
property somewhere that gives me the information? I mean, surely the
(button/container) widget implementation takes it from *somewhere*, but
where exactly is that?

(Creating the "real" widgets is not an option, I think; the whole point
is to delay the widget creation when scrolling a window that will
literally contain tens of thousands of items.)

- Toralf