How to find the exact size a button is going to get?

For various technical reasons I won't go into right now, one of my Gtk
apps need to know what size certain buttons it is going to create will
get, before it actually creates them. Is there any way at all I can
calculate this? The buttons will contain pixmaps, and I have the image
data for those, so I actually know the size of the "contents" of the
buttons, but the total size of a button is somewhat larger as
(apparently) borders are always added,  so how do I find the size of
these?  The border associated with the "border-width" property is not
the one I want, I think, but rather extra borders that magically appear
based on the the style or theme or I don't know what.

Help, anyone?

- Toralf