Re: gstreamer-embedded Digest, Vol 65, Issue 2

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:59:22 +0200
From: Ran Shalit <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Discussions specific to using GStreamer on embedded systems
<gstreamer-embedded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: x11 and gstreamer compete on same display ?

בתאריך 15 בדצמ 2017 17:54, "Todd Fischer" <todd.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> כתב:

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 21:14:07 +0200
From: Ran Shalit <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Discussions specific to using GStreamer on embedded systems
<gstreamer-embedded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Todd Fischer <todd.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Dec 14, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I am using linux distro with x11.
We have some issue, that gstreamer is not displayed correctly with rtp.
We suspect that x11 and gstreamer compete on the display (becuase on
exiting the gstreamer process x11 is immeditely shown again).

What is the pipeline you are using?

Hi,
This is the pipeline:

gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc port=5000 caps = "application/x-rtp,
media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000,
encoding-name=(string)RAW,width=(string)1280,height=(string)1024,
payload=(int)96,sampling=YCbCr-4:2:0" ! rtpvrawdepay ! imxg2dvideosink
use-vsync=true

There are several other video sinks available for iMX6.  I was trying to
find a specific example for QT + GST on iMX6, but didn’t stumble across
one.  You might find some useful information at

*
http://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=IMX6_GStreamer_Pipelines_-_SDK_Turrialba
*
http://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started_Guide_for_RidgeRun_iMX6_Graphics-Server

I saw various distortions even in low resolutions and rates.
That is why I suspect that x11 terminal or ui is also writing or competing
on the same framebuffer. Is that possible?

Ran,

On an iMX6, X11 writes to the RGB framebuffer and GStreamer writes to YUV framebuffer.
The IPU does color space conversion and mixes the two framebuffers.

I found the diagrams in Oliver Brown’s presentation helpful to understand the IPU capabilities.

You need to make sure you are not using the ARM to copy the framebuffer, that will kill performance.

We have a wiki on iMX6 QT enablement at

You can get the SDK from https://www.ridgerun.com/download-evaluation-sdk if you want to
have a comparison build system to see if you get different result.

Todd Fischer
RidgeRun

What system is running the pipeline?

imx6, yocto morti, x11 distro (there is also fb distro, which might be
better?)

It sounds like the hardware that mixes the display and video windows
isn’t configured as you would like.  The easiest fix is likely to use a
different video sink.

This is my assumption. That x11 and gstreamer are competing. when I
stop the pipeline I immediately see the GUI. even when I disabled
desktop manager with systemctl set-default multi-user.target ,
although I don't see the gnome environment, I keep see the xterm
terminal. So, I suspect that they compete, and that's why gstreamer
has difficulties. Yet, I am not sure,  with simpler pipelines without
rtp, like videotstsrc, then it appears better on the screen.

Does it make sense ?

Thank you,
Ran

Todd