Re: Android Things

On 16/12/16 15:00, Johan Hovold wrote:
> But in a static setup, you control what firmware you load, so you don't
> need it to be self-describing.

That depends.

Right now I don't see a good method for kernel and a firmware to agree
on ownership of GPIOs (and other shared resources) for example. I know
virtio/rproc (or some combination of the two) is supposed to be able to
do this.

Just transmitting a manifest over an RPC link seems much simpler than
what I've seen of virtio/rproc so far - and I'm not convinced the two
together can describe as much as a manifest file.

On some platforms (taking Edison as an example) you load a firmware that
basically just assumes it owns some pins. There's exactly zero
synchronisation between the two AMP processors (no type of message
passing to negotiate) between kernel and firmware (that I know of).

So it's pretty easy to mess that type of setup up. Whereas if the
firmware returned a descriptor (or made requests for certain shared
resources) it would be a lot less brittle.

Greybus (or another protocol) could be used to request allocation of a
GPIO from Linux to firmware, same with UART, i2c or another piece of
hardware that both sides of the message bus can own - but only one of
them should own at any one time.

That's at least part of the problem I was looking at greybus to solve.

Perhaps though I have a hammer and so everything looks like a nail

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Irish%20Screwdriver

> The operations themselves could work as an RPC (e.g. using the raw
> protocol), but using Greybus in a setup like this seems like a very
> inefficient way to get things done.

Maybe. Most of what's out there to talk to co-processors is pretty
horrific as far as I can see - with almost no real synchronisation of
resources.

Maybe virtio and rproc will make more sense as I try use it more but
right now my greybus hammer looks like a very handy tool... (hammer)