Re: Android Things

On 15/12/16 16:55, Johan Hovold wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:24:10PM +0000, Bryan O'Donoghue wrote:
>
>> Interesting to see Intel Edison is one of the supported initial boards I
>> must give that a try.
>>
>> I suppose for a board like that you could make a virtual host-controller
>> and have it abstract the local-discovery of modules and/or consume DTS
>> data and feed everything into greybus bundles via manifest files built
>> in-memory.
>>
>> OTOH the co-processor on the Edison is more interesting (the Quark) - in
>> that it can take control of some of the I/O pins - has a shared memory
>> and could be a place to run Nuttx/Zephyr implementing greybus (something
>> I've been thinking about).
>>
>> http://hackerboards.com/edison-iot-module-ships-with-atom-plus-quark-combo-soc/
>>
>> Beaglebone has a co-processor too I think (though it's not on the list
>> of supported hardware -
>> https://developer.android.com/things/hardware/developer-kits.html.
>>
>> For development boards like Edison and Beagle, I think greybus could be
>> well suited to communicate with a firmware on the co-processor. All
>> you'd have to do is make a host-controller across the IPC interface
>> between host and AMP-co-processor and then write greybus into your
>> co-processor firmware.
>
> But why would you want that? Greybus makes sense for something pluggable
> (e.g. Ara) or remote (e.g. IoT), but if it's on the same board you
> should just use the main processor directly to toggle GPIOs or access
> a sensor over i2c since it would be much more efficient.

Yeah no true - bridged phy would be slower and pointless but, greybus
operations and manifests are a pretty powerful way of

- Enumerating
- Communicating

with a remote firmware across a message passing bus.

> At least I fail to see the point in using the bridged-phy protocols in
> such a setup, but maybe you had something else in mind.

I'm aware of rproc - I think with a little work greybus could be a
fairly decent alternative method for discovery and message passing to
remote firmware.

So far I've found rproc difficult to use and implement in comparison to
greybus - then again I accept I'm fairly biased :)

It's not an apples-for-apples comparison I'll grant you but still -
embedded data in the firmware image (rproc) is a pain versus supplying a
manifest like greybus.

---
bod