Thoughts on H.323 encryption or Why your AES encryption might be worth nothing

Hi,

after implementing H.235 media encryption in the GNU Gatekeeper and
H323Plus and doing interop testing with a variety of endpoints I am
surprised by the false sense of security people have about their
commercial endpoints.

I have collected my thoughts here:
http://www.gnugk.org/h323-encryption.html

How does encryption work for H.323 calls ?

Most endpoints today have a setting for "AES encryption" and will show
some indicator (usually a closed lock) when the current call is being
encrypted. Most users take this as a sign that their conversation can
not be snooped on. Unfortunately thats not true for many (most ?)
implementations.

Why so ? AES itself is a very secure algorithm, unless you know the key
used for the encryption...

Virtually all endpoints, use the standard H.235.6 encryption. H.235.6
specifies that a master key is negotiated when the call is established
using a Diffie-Hellman exchange. From this master key, the H.245 master
in the call creates separate media keys for each logical channel (thats
a very good design, so we don't use the master key too often).

Unfortunately the Diffie-Hellman exchange is easily attacked by a
man-in-the-middle and must be protected by separate security measures
to be safe. H.323 and H.235 mention TLS or IPSec encryption to secure
the signaling channel, but so far I haven't seen any commercial
endpoint that actually implements this!

What does this all mean ?

Unless you currently encrypt your whole network up to the destination
endpoint using IPSec, your AES encryption is easily(!) subverted with a
man-in-the-middle attack.

It doesn't take expensive equipment to mount a man-in-the-middle
attack, two GNU Gatekeepers working as encryption proxies are enough. I
don't want to give a detailed explanation, but its really simple. The
harder part is to divert H.323 calls through a listening device, but
tampering with BGP routes happens quite often and some attackers might
even have direct access to your internet lines. So this danger is quite
real.

What should you do ?

- Don't stop using AES encryption, make more use of it! At least
  against passive listening, its a good protection.

- Check if your endpoint supports TLS encryption. For example use
  Wireshark, filter by "h225" and if you can see Setup, Alerting and
  Connect messages for your call, its not encrypted.

- Ask your vendor why he doesn't support encryption for the signaling
  channel!

- Spread the word and help avoiding a false sense of security using
  current encryption implementations!

- You can use GnuGk's TLS encryption to at least encrypt H.323
  signaling over internet connections that are especially prone to
  eavesdropping. See this TLS tunnel example:
  http://www.gnugk.org/gnugk-tls-tunnel.html

- If you do come across endpoints that support TLS encryption, please
  contact me. I'd love to run some interoperability tests.

--
Jan Willamowius, Founder of the GNU Gatekeeper Project
EMail  : jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relaxed Communications GmbH
Frahmredder 91
22393 Hamburg