Re: [Openh323gk-developer] Thoughts on H.323 encryption or Why your AES encryption might be worth nothing

Hey Jan,

What you point out is unfortunately quite spot-on.

Good news first: Avaya did support H.235.2 with certain extensions
that is - to my knowledge - the most secure H.323 deployment I have
seen. They did an authenticated DH during the registration phase, and
then did an HMAC for all RAS/Q931 messages, and finally AES-based
media encryption. This is pretty standard, except for the Q931
authentication which was their extension. Tandberg/Cisco supported the
scheme for some time - but not anymore.

Most vendors (including aforementioned vendors) have mostly just hoped
that the entire industry is going to move to SIP and also placed their
bets there, hoping that all the security problems with H.323
authentication would go away. This hasn't happened. The orchestrated
effort needed to do something on both the endpoint side and the
gatekeeper side meant that none but the biggest vendors can pull this
off, the ones who own the end-to-end solution.

Finally, customers are mostly unaware. Even if they are, they are not
knowledgeable enough to really get a feeling for how bad the placebo
security is.

One can only speculate how the telepresence deployment in the UN was
spied on (http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2013/08/german_magazine_nsa_decrypted_/)
:-)

Good luck!

~Hani Mustafa