Re: GnuGK infrastructure design.

Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2013, 09:28 +0100 schrieb Joao Alexandre:

> I manage a network with 5 locations, 3 of them have each one 1
> endpoint and the other 2 have each one 2 endpoints. All of the
> locations have direct Internet access and direct communication between
> (VPN or MPLS) and by design and lack of public IPs, all of the
> endpoints and behind a firewall, thus the need to have a gatekeeper so
> that we can be reached from the outside.

Actually you would need a gateway. The "GNU Gatekeeper" just happens to
be a piece of software, that implements both a gatekeeper and a gateway.

> Till now I've setup one GnuGK mainly based on the NAT.INI and with
> some more tweaks that people advised, also I've tried a neighbor setup
> with one GK at each location (and I've experienced some problems) but
> this kind of setup didn't seemed right to me.

You may have one (or multiple) GK per site, or possibly one for all of
your sites. Assumed, that there is no NAT between the sites. It's a
design choice. One GK per site enables you to be able to place phone
calls within one site, even if the VPN is down.

> What I would like: that each location could receive external calls (so
> not dependent from present GK), could do external calls (mainly what
> we have been asked is by IP or E.164@IP) and of course dial each other
> in the internal network.

You do not have IPs for the phones as they are NATed. What you may do,
is to have one Gateway (i.e. the GnuGK) with an external address (or a
port forwarding), that is accessible from the outside. Additionally it
will serve as a proxy from the outside to the inside or vice versa.
Outsiders then may be able to call you e.g. by "E.143@GatewayIP".

Whether or not you implement one gateway or three is again a design
choice and up to you.

The next questions would be, how exactly shall a "NUMBER@IP" be resolved
if one of your external partners calls in, or you're calling out to them
(i.e. RAS/LRQ or no RAS)? Can you dial IP addresses on your phone? Or
would you have to adjust your dial-plan to enable outgoing dialling?

Regards,

	David

--
David Dahlberg

Fraunhofer FKIE, Dept. Communication Systems (KOM) | Tel: +49-228-9435-845
Fraunhoferstr. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany        | Fax: +49-228-856277

Build for Windows Store.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev