Re: gnguk modes

Jan

Yep there are a lot more advanced features :)

InternalNetwork replaces the computers route table with one the user
supplies. You can use this to allow EP's on different networks to avoid
proxying by making the GK think they can reach each other directly.

ModeSelection (really cool new feature) which allows the user fine grain
configuration of each network segment's media proxy/signal proxy/H245
routing.

H.460.18/.19 much like the native GnuGk NAT support will force media to
proxy for NAT.

Golden rule is that you MUST proxy for NAT unless...

H.460.23/.24 (in development) works with H.460.18/.19 to safely switch off
the proxy for NAT and allow the media to flow directly even if one or both
endpoints are behind NAT.  OR...

You set ProxyForNAT = 0. This assumes that ALL users have port forwarded and
switch the proxy off. (very dangerous as you are making a decision on an
assumption which cannot be verified)  OR...

You set ProxyForSameNAT = 0 and both parties are detected behind the same
NAT. (again very dangerous as you cannot verify whether the EP's can contact
eachother as one may be nested on a subNAT) H.460.24 Annex A fixes this by
assuming proxy then uses RTCP packet probing to find direct route then
switch the proxy off.

There are few other ones we have added over the years like..
TreatUnregisteredNAT will assume all unregistered callers are NAT and proxy
the media.

There are probably a few others..

Basically there are a lot of settings to enable/disable proxying. There are
numerous network configurations where you want or need to proxy. Minimizing
the need to proxy media is still very much a work in progress but the recent
addition of better NAT support with H.460.18/.19, ModeSelection and
H.460.23/.24 will greatly increase flexibility and reduce GK proxy load.

Simon