proxy to proxy difficulty

Sorry for the long explanation. I'm trying to do this:

EP1 <-->GNUGK1 (proxy)<--[fw traversal]-->GNUGK2 (proxy)<--->Radvision ECS
GK<--->EP2

(EP2 to connect to EP1 via GNUGK2 proxy)

I'm using GNUGK in this scenario for firewall traversal. The ECS is a given.
The endpoints (also givens) are legacy Polycoms, and so do not support GnuGK
or H.460 firewall traversal on their own. Neither does ECS. I'm able to get
proxy mode to work well when I have only one GGK proxy between the EP and
the ECS. And native firewall traversal between 2 GGKs works well also. I
just can't get both conditions to work at once. Calls from EP1 to EP2 seem
to work, but in the reverse direction EP2 tries to call GNUGK1 directly,
breaking the firewall traversal. I want GNUGK2 to channel all traffic H.225,
RTP/RTCP etc.

1 other related thing: I've tried to get GGK to register as a gateway
endpoint, thinking that might help. However, I can't get ECS to register it
that way; it sees gatekeeper, not gateway. (Type=terminal is okay.) When I
register GNUGK1 w/ GNUGK2 as a gateway, the status port report says
"gatekeeper, gateway" Is that what's confusing ECS?

Any ideas?

I've tried so many different combinations that you'll definitely see some
excess baggage below.

y.y.y.y	GNUGK1 NAT public IP (NAT firewall)
z.z.z.z 	GNUGK2 IP (GNUGK2 is not NATed)
a.a.a.a 	ECSGK IP (ECSGK is not NATed)

GNUGK1 (192.168.15.100)
===============================
[Gatekeeper::Main]