Re: RTC and GnuGk

That is why H323plus is there and GnuGK so you can write 50 lines of code
and traverse NATs or whatever feature you want to add. I think "Follow Me"
in GnuGk is about 10 lines... :)

> > Classic case in point of why doing RTC in H.323 is easier than SIP. The
> > equivalent to P2Pnat media in SIP is ICE. ICE is 5 years in development,
> now
> > in draft version 15? is over 120 pages long, extremely complex
> and still a
> > call can fail due to NAT, is not interoperable with standard
> RTP, can have
> > long delays establishing calls etc etc. Now compare that with
> P2Pnat Media
> > which ITU submission is about 25 pages formatted and in GnuGk
> is about 50
> > lines of code and as you say it "works like a charm".
>
> It takes a great mind to build great things. I refuse to think that, if
> you'd concentrate your effort on sip nat traversal you wouldn't do it.
> However, I didn't have big problems with SIP under NAT so far.

Here's the bad news. In SIP you have no alternative to ICE. Since SIP is
rudimentary in is call routing procedure it doesn't have a ARQ/LRQ function
(which p2pnat media uses) which means I cannot tell whether the person I am
calling is behind a NAT or how to traverse nats before I place the call so I
left with guessing, sending RTP packets in all directions hoping 1 of them
will reach the other person.

> > BTW: If someone has a cool GUI idea for PacPhone and is not
> overly complex
> > and is not going to be a huge amount of rejigging, I am very interested.
> :)
>
> I would suggest a skype-like GUI, or, if you used MS Office Communicator I
> would say it has the best GUI from what I've used.
> ce
> If GnuGK takes this road, even if I'm a fan of h.323 in favour of SIP, I
> would say it needs to go multiprotocol and do some SIP stuff as
> well. There
> is a very simple reason for that - mobile phones. The most popular mobile
> phones have a sip client now. I have one myself and it works
> perfectly over
> wifi (under nat).

Here's a big secret, you know that mobile phone that has SIP on it? Do you
know how it makes audio and video calls? H.245 that's right 3G (H.324M) uses
H.245 (the exact same capability exchange mechanism in H.323). In 2000 3GPP
decreed that SIP should be used on 3G phones and to this day (8 years later)
not 1 commercially viable SIP based 3G phone has ever been produced. While
3GPP2 (we know as 3GSM) which broke away from 3GPP has rolled out millions
and millions of H.324M handsets and virtually every carrier, I have been
told, interlink their 3G systems with H.323. So just keep playing with SIP
on the wifi with that 3G phone... :)

A "follow me" service should work with both protocols ??
> This is the market trend in mobile phones, you can't change it and even if
> you'd make pacphone to work under windows mobile or symbian os, it still
> wouldn't be intergrated with the phone like the sip client is and many
> people won't be able to install it anyway.

Yeah the trend...Nokia N95..
http://secunia.com/advisories/27945/
Note the Recommendation: Turn the SIP feature off...

Oh you want to know how to make the entire phone completely freeze up.
Get your text editors and perl scripts out!
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2007-December/058839.html

Let me summarize
Send an Invite then Cancel then send another invite. The entire phone is now
non-functional!
A party trick to play on SIP fanatic friends...

I could go on like this for days, lets call it even... :-)

Simon