Re: My network interface (Igor Prokhorov)

Dear Farhan,

Let me give you an idea of my network first:

GnuGK Machine:
    Interface 1 => A.B.C.D
    Interface 2 => 192.168.1.3

Customer End Router:
    Interface 1 => A.B.C1.D1
    Interface 2 => 192.168.6.1

Customer End Terminal (In this case a PC using MyPhone):
    Interface 1 => 192.168.6.7

Terminating endpoints vary for different destinations, and I've even got GWs
running on the 192.168.1.x segment of the GnuGK machine.

My customer is using a Micronet Router and has all ports open on its
firewall.  Each PC is protected using Zone Alarm.

The calls worked perfectly with the same config I posted earlier.

As Stewart Nelson and other guys have said repeatedly, your NAT router
appears to be acting funny (or is not properly configured / understood).
But, to be sure, I would first suggest that you check all the things Stewart
mentioned about the Network Adapter on your test PC (where you're going to
use MyPhone).

Just one exception.  You should be able to make this work on DHCP, so keep
it on DHCP and continue further.

Now it's time to inspect your router.  It appears you're using a Linux box
as a router, and are you using some distribution that has IPRoute2, with
some default firewall / routing templates installed.  Please study IPRoute2
in more details, as it is very advanced, very complicated, and probably the
best routing system out there, and if properly configured, can give any of
the big name routers / firewalls a run for their money.  (IMHO).  But, all
these GreaTness comes with a great deal of complexity, so you'll have to
take a good look into that.

I remember you mentioning that it sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't.
One reason could be (I'm just guessing here) the open port ranges in your
router overlap at some point with open port ranges for RTP on GnuGK.  So,
when the RTP port opened from GnuGK falls within the allowable range in the
router, it works, and when it doesn't it becomes one way traffic.  To fix
it, you could either confine GnuGK to the open range allowed in your router,
or you could configure your router to include all the RTP ranges allowed by
GnuGK.

If all these tinkering with your Linux Router didn't help, or if you're not
on a Linux Router, then try to put the NAT on a simple open filter router
like an xDSL modem, or even Win2k (I haven't tried this one though, but I
think Win2k keeps everything wide open, doesn't it?)

Let me know how it worked for you on each of the suggestions.
As I said earlier, I live in Dhaka (same as you), and I'm also available
locally in Dhaka @ +88011932000, so you could always call me, if you want
to.

Regards
HASSAAN