Re: To Stewart Nelson about endpoint not in real IP address

Hi,

It is hard to answer this, because you have not described your
network.

Is gnugk on a public IP?
What is the DHCP client getting its address from (e.g local
NAT router, cable modem, etc.)
Does the DHCP client get a public IP address?  If it's
a private address, is that what you expect?

If DHCP is actually causing trouble (IMO unlikely), it's
probably because MyPhone sees its IP, which then changes
because the lease runs out and a new address is issued.

If DHCP is just providing a private IP on a local LAN,
you should be able to configure the PC with a fixed
private IP that is outside the range handed out by
DHCP, but still on the same subnet.  That may fix your
problem.  If not, you will have eliminated DHCP as the
cause.

A common source of trouble is NAT routers that try to
proxy H.323, but don't do it properly.  You can spot this
by looking at the console message for RCF.  If the endpoint
is behind NAT, you should see both its private address and
its public address.  If the private address does not
appear, something (the client or the NAT) is modifying
the H.323 packet.  I know nothing about MyPhone, but if
it has any NAT traversal settings, you should try turning
them off.

Also, many DSL, cable, and wireless Internet modems now
have integrated routers, which are often enabled by default.
If a PC connected directly to the modem gets a private IP,
but the ISP provides a public IP, then the modem is doing
NAT, which can cause trouble if there is another NAT behind
it, or if the modem is H.323-aware.

If the above doesn't help, you'll just have to debug it.
Use Ethereal or similar to see if voice packets arrive
at the MyPhone host.  If yes, then check:
destination port matches MyPhone listening port
correct codec
correct payload size
good checksum
payload is not silent

If no, then check at gnugk to see to what IP and port it
is sending.  If correct, you'll have to find out why
the intervening network equipment is blocking the
traffic.  If it's wrong, see what gnugk got in the
Open Logical Channel.  If that's also wrong, check if
MyPhone sent it out correctly.  If so, some intervening
network equipment butchered it.

Good luck,

Stewart