Re: automatic starting GnuGK with Linux system

I had (and still having) the same problem.  I moved my exports from
/root/.bash_profile => /etc/profile..... Yet it still didn't work. From the
looks of it, it seems like gnugk can't load the openh323 and pwlib librarie
from the export list.

/etc/export should be loaded prior to all rc.x scripts... thus placing openh323
and pwlib into /etc/export should have been loaded by the time it reaches
rc.local or simply a rc.x/Sxxgnugk script.

If anyone our there is capable of make gnugk run at boot time in any manner
,
please share with us!

Thanks!

Quoting brothaluca <brothaluca@xxxxxxxxx>:

Jiří Gubík napisał(a):
Check /var/lock/subsys/gnugk file. If this file is present gnugk will not start. Just delete it. Include this chceck in your rc.local file.
Jiri

I have no such diretory in my debian system; I searched for lock file for gnugk and couldn't find;

kompnet napsal(a):

To start gnugk as system daemon you need to use one of gk.initd.* scrip
ts.
I'm not sure but for Debian you can use gk.initd.redhat script. Place it to your daemons-runlevel directory, edit it for your needs and make it executable.
Enjoy!

I did, my script is as follows:

#!/bin/sh

GKEXE=/usr/local/bin/gnugk
GKPID=/var/run/gnugk.pid
GKCONFIG=/etc/gnugk/gnugk.ini
LOGFILE=/var/log/gnugk

[ -x $GKEXE ] || exit 0

[ -f $GKCONFIG ] || exit 0

prog=gnugk

RETVAL=0

start () {
    [ -f $LOGFILE ] && mv -f $LOGFILE $LOGFILE.bak
    echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
    # start daemon
    $GKEXE -c $GKCONFIG -o $LOGFILE -tt > /dev/null 2>&1 &
    RETVAL=$?
    [ $RETVAL = 0 ]
    echo
    return $RETVAL
}

stop () {
    # stop daemon
    echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
    killall $GKEXE
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
    return $RETVAL
}

restart () {
    stop
    start
    RETVAL=$?
    return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
    start)
         start
        ;;
    stop)
        stop
        ;;
    status)
        status $GKEXE
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
    restart)
        restart
        ;;
    reload)
        kill -HUP `cat $GKPID`
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
    *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status}"
        RETVAL=1
esac

exit $RETVAL

I copied it to /etc/init.d/ directory, make it +x, updated rc.X links (update-rc.d gnugk defaults 98)
and still can't get it start with system;
If I start/restart/stop gnugk with this script manually (invoke-rc.d gnugk start/restart/stop) it works correctly, but in time system is booting it doesn't; As I wrote before, I added env. variables (pwlib, openh323...) to /etc/profile;
In my logs I have nothing....
Maybe you know, what thing is done first while system booting:
invoking rc.X scripts or setting variables from /etc/profile???
Maybe while rc.X scrits are invoked, there are no pwlib,openh323 variables because /etc/profile is not yet proceeded and that is why gnugk doesn't start?
Maybe this is the problem....
I have no other ideas....

Please help

Regards

Hi,

I have following problem:
I need to start GnuGK on my Debian box while starting operating system
;
I added rc.local and pointed to script which start gk (just 1 line:
gnugk -c /etc/gnugk.ini -tt -o /var/log/gnugk)
I also added variables for openh323, pwlib and my database to /etc/profile;
It still doesn't work;(

Any suggestions?

Regards

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
& QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce
5sf
ers
Homepage: http://www.gnugk.org/

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Pract
ices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &
QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5
sf
rs