Call is not disconnected

I have quintum analog gateway for PSTN connection. I also have cisco ata for originating calls. both devices are connected to gnugk in routed mode.  My  quintum analog gateway sometimes has fault disconnect supervision; what this means  is that  quintum gateway cannot tell if the person on the analog side hangup,  so in order for quintum to end call , a disconnect  has to come from IP side(gnugk) after cisco hangs up. We are seeing frequent cases where call stays in gnugk for a long time even though cisco hangup long time ago. In some cases, this happened when cisco lost power. So I was wondering why gnugk is still keeping the call even though signalling socket to 1 endpoint is lost?
I would appreciate  any help.