Re: Help! Performance issues..

Try to increase the call signalling handler value and tell if there is any improvement.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Rubenstein" <alex@xxxxxxx>
To: <openh323gk-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 6:40 AM
Subject:  Help! Performance issues..

(all of the OS and information about the GK is at the end of the email).

Hello,

The machine is a dual xeon 2.4 ghz, with hyperthreading disabled.

I am running gnugk 2.2.2, which is gatekeeping for about 3 or 4 cisco gateways, and a couple Cisco CCMs. 99% of the time, everything is A-OK. 99% of the time, the system is not busy -- perhaps 1 to 10 calls per minute.

However, we have a application that triggers a huge amount of inbound calls, perhaps 10 to 30 per second, several times per week. It will largely fill up several ISDN-PRIs for a period of about 10 to 25 minutes.

During this time, the gatekeeper does not crash; however, it does seem to be entirely consumed handling setups and teardowns (many, many of these calls are rejected due to capacity issues on the terminated gateway).

The config file running on the GK is pretty vanilla, with the exception that there are about 1,950 RewriteE164 lines.

During this time CPU is pretty pegged at about 60% (which is across both processors). I am making the assumption that gnugk is taking a non-threaded approach and killing one CPU, and the other is doing god knows what.

So, my questions:

a) should gnugk kill/bring to it's knees a dual xeon 2.4 with 10 to 30 setups/teardowns per second?

b) Am I missing something planly obvious?

The GK normally sits around at about 0 to 3% CPU with the above 99% normal low load. However, when I sit at my desk and redial/hangup from an ip phone 2 times a second, CPU rides up to about 8%. Does this sound right? Seems that it shouldn't be _that_ busy doing this.

Any help appreciated.

#
# gnugk.ini, made by gk-ini.pl, Mon Jun 27 21:34:22 2005
#

[Gatekeeper::Main]
Fourtytwo=42
Name=zz1.yyy