Re: ata

Hi,

> We are using ata186 which registering to gnu gk, gnu gk has a public ip with
> leased line, ata has private ip with adsl connection and it is behind nat.
>

> Ata is registering to gnugk and conecting calls succesfully but we can not
> hear ring tone while ata connecting, suddenly we hear the called site Hello
> voice.

In your present configuration, there is no return path through the NAT
for the RTP packets, until the ATA starts sending some.  That doesn't
happen until Connect is received.

> Can we hear ring tone with this sceario, is it because of gnu configuration
> or ata configuration, or do we have to make a conf at adsl router modem
> which connected to ata.

Unless your NAT is very smart about H.323, incoming calls won't work,
unless you set up some port forwarding, which will also fix the ring tone
problem.  For ATA186, you should forward TCP 1720-1721, TCP 1740-1741,
and UDP for the media.  The UDP ports will typically be 10000-10007,
or 16384-16391.  The first UDP port forwarded should match the setting of
MediaPort in your ATA config.

Alternatively, if you set Fast Start on the ATA, and set ProxyForNAT in
gnugk, it may fix your ring tone problem.  I don't understand why, but
it has worked on some of our units.  Of course, proxying the media may
make the delay or quality worse.

Many SIP devices have a "send RTP on Progress" option that is designed
to fix this ring tone problem.  It's possible that the latest 3.x ATA
firmware for H.323 also has this feature.

You may be able to configure your system to send Alerting rather
than Progress, and the ATA will then generate a ringing tone locally.
However, that is not a good idea if calls are going to the PSTN,
because you will hear ring tone, when you should really be hearing
"number has been changed ..." or a similar announcement.  Also, it
may confuse the caller if the ring tone he hears does not match
what is expected for the country he is calling.

Good luck,

Stewart