RE: whiteboard in MSN Messenger uses netmeeting

I'm actually referring to Windows Messenger which is different from MSN
Messenger. Windows Messenger does not need to use Netmeeting's H323
capabilities for it to be able to do VOIP, Video, or White Board
Services. Microsoft probably took these services from Netmeeting and
build them into Windows Messenger so that they can be use via SIP.
Windows Messenger uses SIP to establish the session between other SIP
clients and opens up the channels for these types of services to be
exchanged. These channels of service information can be proxy or
exchange directly between each. But this is an entire other realm. It's
an alternative to H323. As to which one you use, depends what you're
trying to accomplish and what client protocols are being used.

You are right, you would need to have some type of converter between
h323 and sip if you have customer's already using Netmeeting and Windows
messenger and you're using some type of centralize routing for these
endpoints. But Peer to Peer works for both with out conversion.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wmsgrfaq.
mspx