Re: Proxy mode performance

Note that the cpu load is on the proxy machine, so the codec
being used does not have much impact (despite of bandwidth).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Southeren" <craigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 8:01 AM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:53:40 +0400
Kompnet <kompnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didn't use callgenerators myself, but as can I understand from readme files
it can't simulate RTP exchanging sessions, only signaling and capabilities.

This is incorrect. The call generators do provide (and accept) RTP.

On Thursday 14 October 2004 03:01, Piotr Szafran wrote:
> I am trying to run some benchmarks of gnugk in proxy mode, because I > found
> infos that it might require pretty powerful machine. As a traffic > generator
> I use h323 call generator (callgen323.sourceforge.net). When I run test > i
> can see calls being made, ethereal sniffs a lot of udp traffic and some
> call signalling, everything looks just great. After establishing about > 40
> "background" calls i make my own call to check quality and it is great. > So
> what is my problem you may ask:) The problem is that the computer > running
> proxy is old celeron 400 with 128Mb of RAM and during tests cpu is only
> 20%. Am I missing something? Can it be possible? Has anyone tried to > use
> this call generator?

The main use of CPU is the code, but you have not told us what codec you are using. If you are using G.711, then this is probably correct

Craig

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl