Re: No ringing tone

Hi all,

KO> The ringing tone is always produced from some gateway
KO> (VoIP or not) between the two endpoints.

AS> That is incorrect. It is perfectly legal to leave the AS> ringing tone up to the calling endpoint, just send an AS> ALERTING message and you're done.

Andreas is technically correct, but if logical channels have
been opened, many endpoints will assume that there is progress
audio (and not play local ringing tone), so the destination
gateway ought to provide audio in that case.

KO> Typically this ringing sound should be KO> produced as close as possible to the originating side.

Maybe in a perfect world, but with today's VoIP, no!
All too often, a carrier will send Alerting when there
is actually useful audio, e.g. "the number you are calling
has been changed...".  Even if the called phone is really
ringing, there are problems.  For example, I am in US and
call France.  My provider's usual route is full, so he
hands the call off to a carrier in the UK.  That turkey,
on receiving Alerting, plays a local ringing tone.  I
hear the UK ring, conclude that I must have dialed wrong
or the call was misrouted, and hang up.  Not only is it
comforting to hear ringing tone from the right country,
but when it is choppy (or absent), you can retry without
having to wait for an answer.

DS> I also Have similar problem with Cisco ATA 186. When the
DS> ATA is on real IP everything works fine but when on
DS> private IP i hear no ringing  tone but i can hear and talk.

IMO, your problem is different from Rafat's.  Just forward UDP
ports 10000-10007 on your NAT to the ATA (or put the ATA in DMZ)
and you should be fine.

RS> so after seeing my logs the final decision of yrs is that
RS> no problem at dialer or GK endpoint.the only thing is to
RS> play a local file in case if dialer does not receive ring.
RS> dialer is fast start enabled.

Well, the log seems to show that the 5300 is not accepting
the fast start (no OLC messages in the Call Proceeding)
and it is not sending any audio.  So you either must get the
5300 to send some, as Kyriakos suggested, or get your
EP to play ringing locally.  Maybe, if you turn off fast
start, it will do that.  To confirm that the problem is
as we suspect, make sure that it still happens when dialer is
on a public IP (and without GK, if possible).

--Stewart