Re: Question about NATed endpoints

Hi Per,

This is a tough problem.  There are indeed situations when you
are stuck behind a NAT over which you have no administrative
control, e.g. in a hotel, or at a vendor or customer site.

Although there is generally no signaling problem on outgoing
calls, especially if you use fast start and/or H.245 tunneling,
a NAT that is unaware of H.323 has a potential problem with
the incoming audio:

1) The NAT doesn't know what host to send it to, until it
   sees some outgoing audio from that host.
2) Most calling phones / gateways don't send audio until
   CONNECT is received.
3) If the destination is the PSTN via a commercial ITSP,
   you won't get CONNECT until the call is answered.

This means that you will not be able to hear announcements
such as "the number has been changed ..." or "the party you
are calling is out of range".  Depending on the carrier, you
may not hear audible ringing or busy signals, either.

There is usually no trouble if the destination is an IP
phone, an ATA, or a gateway with analog POTS lines.

It is often necessary to set ProxyForNAT for reliable
operation without DMZ.  Unfortunately, that generally
carries a penalty in voice quality and/or delay.

--Stewart