Re: Question about NATed endpoints

Hi Jamie,

Unfortunately, it's not always black or white.
I've encountered four kinds of NATs:

1. Those that proxy H.323 correctly.  Typical of most
   professional firewalls.  In this case, you should
   never see any private addresses in any communications,
   and it should work exactly like when the gateway is
   directly on the public IP.  Of course, the GK has
   no problem with these.

2. Those that don't know anything about H.323. Typical
   of most consumer routers, e.g. Linksys, D-link, Netgear.
   If you set the GK for SupportNATedEndpoints, and forward
   the proper ports or make the gateway the DMZ device,
   it generally works fine.

3. Those that do a bad job with H.323.  I've seen some
   SMC and Linksys units in this category.  They were designed
   to work with NetMeeting, but won't work properly with
   most hardware gateways.  You can make these work with gnugk
   disabling the H.323 application gateway (sometimes this is
   in an unexpected menu such as intrusion detection!), or
   sometimes by forwarding the proper ports or using DMZ.
   You may also need to set ProxyForNAT.

4. Those that butcher H.323 signaling.  You may be able to
   fix this with new firmware for the NAT, or work around it
   by using a port other than 1720 for your gateway.  Otherwise,
   get a better router.

--Stewart