Re: least cost rounting and failed calls.

Tell it brother!

david winter wrote:
In response to your personal opinion 2. I dont know if you work in the international voip termination game, but i do. In this game we might have up to 30 carriers that change thier international rates on a daily basis and are constatnly moving from 1st least cost route to a lower placement least cost route, for thousands of possible calling codes. Furthermore, these carriers routes into countries are constantly failing, or filling up. As a provider to my customers I have to try and complete their call even if my first least cost route doenst work for whatever reason. Some calls i roll to other routes as long as my margin is still .001 per minute, but for other programs, like calling cards, i have to complete the call no matter what, even if i am taking a loss. so you can see, we need to have many carriers. now if a carrier constantly fails calls we will open tickets and maybe stop doing busniess with them, but the need for rolling is paramount. As far as PDD, in the international game there is a much wider latitude for acceptable PDD.

Again, i dont know if you ARE involved in this game on a day to day basis. if you are then i am sure you know all this as well. thanks!

PS: I have also noticed an increase in carriers re-mapping thier q931 codes to prevent thier customers from seeing "network congestion","no circuit available","unkown failure" to "user busy" or "user alerted, no answer" in order to prevent them from getting a bad reputation for having low capacity or poor availability. and since we deal with a lot of smaller carriers, not just MCI SPRINT etc, they tend to do what they can to keep our business.

David Winter Senior Network Engineer Planet-Telecom, Inc. Tampa FL (813)901-5182 Office (813)864-3162 Direct (813)817-4204 Mobile (813)881-9762 Fax ------------------------------------------ AIM: mobofool ICQ: 3563403 MSN: dwinter@xxxxxx Y!: vt_fool

Michal Zygmuntowicz wrote:

To get this working (and included in the cvs) you need:
1. Make it working with H.245 tunneling enabled/disabled.
2. Make it working with/without fast start (reopen audio channels, etc).
3. Make it working in full proxy mode.
4. Make it working with various hardware platforms (each platform
  usually has some bugs/missing features that prevent call rerouting
  from working as expected).

My personal opinion is:
1. It's nice to have a simple feature that detects offline gateways
and enables some blackout timeouts for them - quite simple and very
useful.
2. Having call rerouting on no circuits available (or similar error)
usually means someone should change his provider or SLA. Besides it influences PDD and gives bad experience to the user.
3. Some current issues should be solved before implementing call
rerouting.