Re: Alternate Routes:

Would it be worth investigating keeping track of the performance of a
gateway and after reaching a specified threshold, stop sending calls to
that gateway?  This way, if a second gateway is specified for a prefix and
both have a preference, calls would only be routed to the lower priority
gateway if one of any of the following  triggers occurred:

1) Gateway #1 is unreachable
2) Gateway #1 is dropping in performance.

Performance being defined as NER, not ASR.  It would also be nice to be
able to measure delay and packet loss, but that would be outside the scope
of the gatekeeper.

After investigation or problem resolution, the gateway could be reenabled
either automatically or manually or disabled till a later date.  Outside
interaction (an external process) with the status would help - like the
PSTN fallback option on the Cisco Gateways.

Fail-over routing based on the treatment code (or Q.931 disconnect cause)
would be nice, but what are the pitfalls?

Another feature that would be a nice fit is A-number and B-number
analysis, or being able to route on any combination of calling or called
number comparisions.  A basic if-then-else structure to the routing logic.

Just a few ideas I've had as to what I want to work on - but first I need
to update my 2.2 source and see what changes have been made since I last
looked at it.