From: openh323gk-users-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:openh323gk-users-admin@lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of iTS
Consult@ncy
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:35 AM
To: openh323gk-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE:  something to think about

Thanks, very good letter. The impulses to make "workgroups" that attach
certain aspects of GnuGK were there but for some reason never "took off".  I
see you mentioning Jeremy Mcnamara from NuFone that is related to the
asterisk PBX. Another interesting item.

So let's make a wish list with items that can be documented and clarified
with examples and drawings and ini files. Than some persons can be assigned
to a small project with deadlines etc...that like to deliver their
experience and knowledge on a certain item and translate this into "readable
format". Your remark about the manual made me laugh. I still have a printed
copy next to me and need to check it from time to time. Also took me some
time to understand it.

You are right about the RTFh323RFC as also there is remarkable h323
information on www.protocols.com especially this section
http://www.protocols.com/pbook/h323.htm. As also the already documented
sections in the www.gnugk.org  under documents. Lots of information to be
found there. But HOW to translate this info into something understandable to
somebody that is NOT some sort of a certified network engineer is ofcourse
another issue.

The question that I sometimes feel in this project is: " Do we have to? "

I am into GnuGk a little more than 1 year now and struggled very hard to
understand all the aspects. My requests for clarifying the manual on certain
aspects you may find in the list with 0 replies. And this might be right
because there is no direct support on any open project. But with always the
same persons replying you get the feeling that there is some sort of direct
support. But when it comes to writing stuff, releasing stuff etc... than
this same people often are alone with also a lot of other work to do and
they will put "priorities". So new documentation and releasing new versions
can be a hell of a job if you have to do it all alone. So why not share some
things if there are 600 interested members, some with tremendous experience,
for this list?

Therefore I think that if there is a need for additional documentation and
some clarification on the manual, ( I had a copy of the manual next to my
bed to read it before I went to sleep!),  we first dig up the real "pain in
the xxx" problems that newcomers or even experienced guys have to deal with
and start doing something.

I really appreciated your answer and hope to receive more opinions!

Tjapko.