Re: Java Transaction API

On 03/08/2008, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Mark Wielaard kirjoitti:>> >> > I am unsure. I doubt any other distro ships the proprietary version. Why> > does Gentoo when (multiple) free versions are available?> >> >>>  We have been doing this long before open source versions existed. We just> haven't been quick to replace things that don't show up in depgraphs for the> most used things.>>  Regards,>  Petteri>  -->  Gentoo/Java project lead>>>
I didn't realise Gentoo was alive and had Java support back in 1997... ;)
This is by no means a personal attack or anything, so don't take itthat way.  I know you've done a lot of work to improve Free Javasupport on Gentoo, but the distro overall is less concerned withensuring that packages are Free than, say, Debian or Fedora.  Anotherexample would be Motif support; lesstif seems to be packaged masked,so I had to backport doko's motif patch to remove the motif dependencyand ensure that the IcedTea build in Gentoo was Free.
I should note that we've recently had some good progress with FreeJava on Gentoo, and a working gcj 4.3 is now available at last.-- Andrew :-)
Support Free Java!Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDKhttp://www.gnu.org/software/classpathhttp://openjdk.java.net
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8