Re: Java Transaction API

On 03/08/2008, Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>

>  On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 22:52 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>  > It seems Classpath includes the full set of interfaces for the Java
>  > Transaction API:
>  >
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Transaction_API
>  >
>  > while the J2SE spec. only prescribes three exceptions used by CORBA:
>  >
>  > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/transaction/package-summary.html
>  >
>  > They were (apparently) added by Warren Levy and Tom Tromey back in 2001.
>

> Wow, we were quick and early back in the day :)

Yeah! I'm wondering why they were all added, because some of these
still aren't part of the specification.  Tom?

>  > Gentoo currently has a JTA package that uses the version of these
>  > interfaces from Sun.  These still seem to under a proprietary license
>  > (though IANAL):
>  >
>  > http://java.sun.com/javaee/technologies/jta/
>  >
>  > even though there is presumably also a GPL version in Glassfish.
>

> There is a version under dual license CDDL or GPL + Classpath exception
>  at:
>  https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/transaction-api/src/
>

>  > How do other distributions handle this? Is it worth our while moving
>  > these out of GNU Classpath into a separate package so people can use
>  > the Free Classpath versions?
>

> I am unsure. I doubt any other distro ships the proprietary version. Why
>  does Gentoo when (multiple) free versions are available?

Don't get me started... ;) Gentoo seems to have a number of non-Free
packages in its main tree, including proprietary JDKs which are used
as the 'standard' JDK rather than gcj or OpenJDK.

Given Glassfish is also a recent development, maybe this explains why
the code is in GNU Classpath.  It was probably needed to run J2EE
servers Freely.

>  Feel free to create a little subpackage of javax.transaction.* for
>  distribution if you feel it would be useful to people. It is just
>  interface (constants) and exceptions, no real code, so I doubt anything
>  in it will change much.

I will if there is sufficient demand.  At the moment, my guess would
be people were using this for J2EE support on GNU Classpath.  With the
switch to OpenJDK generally, should we try and be more true to J2SE in
Classpath and separate this out?

>  Cheers,
>

>  Mark

Cheers,
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8