Re: Java Transaction API

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 22:52 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> It seems Classpath includes the full set of interfaces for the Java
> Transaction API:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Transaction_API
>
> while the J2SE spec. only prescribes three exceptions used by CORBA:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/transaction/package-summary.html
>
> They were (apparently) added by Warren Levy and Tom Tromey back in 2001.

Wow, we were quick and early back in the day :)

> Gentoo currently has a JTA package that uses the version of these
> interfaces from Sun.  These still seem to under a proprietary license
> (though IANAL):
>
> http://java.sun.com/javaee/technologies/jta/
>
> even though there is presumably also a GPL version in Glassfish.

There is a version under dual license CDDL or GPL + Classpath exception
at:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/transaction-api/src/

> How do other distributions handle this? Is it worth our while moving
> these out of GNU Classpath into a separate package so people can use
> the Free Classpath versions?

I am unsure. I doubt any other distro ships the proprietary version. Why
does Gentoo when (multiple) free versions are available?

Feel free to create a little subpackage of javax.transaction.* for
distribution if you feel it would be useful to people. It is just
interface (constants) and exceptions, no real code, so I doubt anything
in it will change much.

Cheers,

Mark