Re: Other class libraries

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 11:32 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > So concretely. If you find a bug in GNU Classpath, it is OK if you test
> > against some other implementation and see what it does (run various
> > programs and tests). It isn't OK to go study the other implementation
> > code to see what it precisely does and then write the same code for GNU
> > Classpath.
>
> Obviously not, no.  However, there is an enormous gulf between
> studying and copying, and you are muddying the waters by failing to
> distinguish between them.

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to muddy any waters. What I meant is that
while writing code for gnu classpath you are studying code from another
implementation in a way which might lead to ending up with the exact
same implementation is a no-no. Studying free software code in general
of course is precisely why we write free software in the first place.
studying code to then copy it almost literally and putting a different
author contribution, copyright and distribution terms on it isn't
though.

> We run the risk of being in the situation where everyone is free to
> study OpenJDK except Classpath developers.  I don't think this is
> justified by copyright law.  You are taking an extreme interpretation
> of the law which I do not believe is in the best interests of the GNU
> project and GNU Classpath.  It's always tempting to say "let's err on
> the side of safety", but in my opinion this is too far.

OK, where would you like the safety side to be?

> Obviously, coming up with something identical and checking it in to
> GNU Classpath would not be allowed.  But it's much more reasonable to
> say "don't do that, then"

I believe that is what I am saying yes.

>  than to forbid free software programmers
> from studying free software.  Put that way, it's plainly absurd, but
> that is what you are saying.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Cheers,

Mark