Re: Other class libraries

On 24/06/2008, Roman Kennke <roman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  As we discussed a little on IRC earlier today, it's actually quite a
>  > ridiculous situation that GNU Classpath and OpenJDK are just about
>  > under the same license, but because of that 'or later' clause, they
>  > are incompatible.
>

> IANAL either, but from my understanding this is not the problem. At
>  least not for contributors. The problem is copyright, and this is
>  regardless of the license, proprietary or free. If I look at Sun's code
>  and then go and implement something in GNU Classpath that is very
>  similar or equal to what I studied before in OpenJDK, I risk to be
>  blamed for copyright infringement. Normally in FLOSS projects this is
>  less of a problem because people have an attitude of sharing anyway, but
>  as you said, that doesn't count much from a legal POV. Of course, if the
>  licenses were compatible it would be much easier, we could simply import
>  the code in question into external/ and be done.

Yes, it's the project-level import I was referred to here.  If that
were possible, it would automatically remove the possibility of
code-copying for the most part.

--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8