Re: Savannah has Mercurial!

2008/6/6 Mario Torre <neugens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Il giorno ven, 06/06/2008 alle 15.05 +0100, Ian Rogers ha scritto:
>> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>> > I just noticed this announcement when submitting the news announcement
>> > for 0.97.2.
>> >
>> > What do people think to the idea of switching?  Maybe post 0.98?
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> just to give a different perspective. For Jikes RVM there's been no
>> choice to use Mercurial as SourceForge don't provide it,
>
> Hi Ian!
>
> We use hg with escher, and it's hosted on sf. You may give a look at
> this:
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MercurialOnSourceforge
>
> It's not publicized, but allowed by the sf team as far as I know.

Bah! You beat me to it!

>> So in summary, having a central repository that's an
>> SVN repository can be a good thing as it supports the maximum number of
>> version control tools. We have a list of different tools for working
>> with our repository (hg, git, svn, svk, darcs, svm, rsync) and how to
>> set them up with Jikes RVM here:
>>
>> http://jikesrvm.org/Using+Distributed+And+Local+Version+Control+Tools
>>
>> I may be talking rubbish as I'm not a version control guru. Regards,
>
> I'm not sure I understand, but I don't think it's a good idea for
> development to mix up.
>
> Just my 2 cents :)

I've been contemplating this idea as the discussion went on.  I think
a switch to something other
than CVS is needed, as it just doesn't track things well enough in
general.  For me the speed of
diffs/status checks in CVS is appalling and has a significant impact
on my work habits.

Maybe we should instead think about switching to SVN as our main tree
and those who want to use
Mercurial, git, darcs, etc. could work with them in the way Ian describes?

Again, we'd obviously need a trial period.

--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8