Re: How to build Classpath without Classpath

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:50 -0500, Gustavo Guillermo Perez wrote:
> Hello list, I don't know if is this the proper list to ask, I've working on
> embedded systems with java, so this year I decide to upgrade my base system,
> and as always build it from scratch.
>
> As JVM, I use kaffe, cause was portable and able to be changed for building on
> uClibc, so kaffe has no more a version of classpath embedded anymore, they
> use now Gnu Classpath as an external required tool.
>
> I have gnu gcj from gcc 4.2.3.
>
> Trying to compile Gnu Classpath 0.97.1 it ask for a javah command, but cause I
> do not have already a JVM I don't have this feature, so I need Java to build
> Classpath and Classpath to build Java.

There's a javah in GCJ.

> Then I was able to build kaffe 1.1.7 that has an embedded older version of
> classpath. Next time I ran configure script, it pass the javah requirement,
> but stucks on gcj, that not support gcj -C, debbuging it is: -target
> 1.5 -source 1.5, gcj does not known about thoose options.
>
> Trying to get an older version of Gnu Classpath, I run ./configure from 0.90
> version, it detects gcj, and builds properly and fine, but is old.... so if
> we talk as Gnu Classpath as an alternative to Sun's JVM... How can I build
> the lastest version 0.97.1 or newer just having gcj it means without a
> classpath.

Well, building with GCJ works, if it's 1.5 capable.  You could also
build the new GNU Classpath with your old Kaffe installation or
cross-compile it.

> I'll gonna try gcj from another gcc version may be unstable or new 4.3.0 but I
> don't know about this feature 1.5, may be is something related to CLASSPATH
> variable, I set this variable to a wide set of combinations including the
> path to glibj.zip from Gnu Classpath 0.90.
>
> I have jikes too, but classpath complains about -Xlint:unchecked works...
> configure: error: The Java compiler javac -Xlint:unchecked failed

You can't build current versions with Jikes anymore.  You need something
like Javac, ECJ, or a 1.5 GCJ.

> uLinuxIV kaffe # jikes --version
> Jikes Compiler - Version 1.22 - 3 October 2004
> uLinuxIV kaffe # java -version
> java full version "kaffe-1.4.2"
> kaffe VM "1.1.7"
> Engine: Just-in-time v3   Version: 1.1.7   Java Version: 1.4
> Heap defaults: minimum size: 5 MB, maximum size: unlimited
> Stack default size: 256 KB
>
> I'll keep trying :-|

- twisti