Re: Misleading API comparisons in GNU Classpath website: suggesting to remove the links.

On 19/03/2008, Audrius Meskauskas <audriusa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/, next to the phrase "updated
>  nightly", it is possible to follow our widely known links to the API
>  comparison. The information on these comparison tables is absolutely
>  misleading. For instance, javax.swing.html.parser shows as very
>  incomplete when I have finished this package myself ages ago. It is
>  possible to suspect (correctly) that the API results are strongly
>  obsolete but the less informed person may have other, certainly
>  misleading thoughts.
>
>  The date of comparison is given at the top right corner, but it is
>  formatted "light gray over white" and is hardly seen.
>
>  As the current content is absolutely incorrect, I suggest to remove the
>  API comparison pages from the website completely. The alternative
>  solution would be to keep fixed comparisons but at least put the more
>  recent version - GNU Classpath is well over 99 % complete.
>
>  While "the status of the GNU Classpath project has changed" and so on,
>  the well known alternatives likely do not deserve as much as kamikaze
>  efforts from our side - to show deliberately the project worse than it is.
>

>  Audrius Meskauskas

I agree.  I submitted a patch for this about a week ago to fix most of
the issues on the home page (including saying we are aiming for
1.1...).  If people are happy with it, I'll commit.
--
Andrew :-)

Document Freedom Day - March 26th
http://documentfreedom.org

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8