Re: Classpath 0.96

Dâniel Fraga wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:27:15 +0100
	I mean, I know I can use gcjwebplugin, but it doesn't work for
all cases, all applets etc. Now that Java was GPLed, how much time will
it take so classpath will merge code from Sun so we can have a
gcjwebplugin that works in all cases?

Currently, there is no one actively working on merging code from OpenJDK into GNU Classpath, so it will take an infinite amount of time. :)

Alternatively, check out IcedTea.

	Ps: I'm interested in classpath because it's the only option I
have for a 64 bit plugin... since Sun refuses to release a 64 bit
plugin :( I saw the GPL Java announcement, but I don't understand how
the code is being distributed...If at least Sun would release all the
source code so we can compile the plugin ourselves, it would be much
better.

It's not a matter of refusing to release code, the plugin simply hasn't been a priority for them yet, afaict.

At FOSDEM, someone said that the plugin code for IE alone is about the size of the hotspot code, so it's probably a lot of work. I'd expect it to be a bit lower in the priority queue than fixing encumbrancies (necessary for pure openjdk to move into fedora, debian, etc.) & creating a certifiable OpenJDK 6 branch (necessary to certify the resulting binaries as Java(TM)), never mind all the other things going on in parallel (mercurial migration, build system changes, opening up the interpreter code to aid porting efforts, consumer JRE, JCK process, ...).

cheers,
dalibor topic