Java2D Headless

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 17:25 +0200, Juerg Lehni wrote:
> I wonder about ImageIO through ImageMagick though. Are you sure that
> there is no code for this so far? I saw it mentioned here, and from
> what I read it sounds like it's already working:
>
> http://developer.classpath.org/doc/javax/imageio/package-summary.html

Yeah, Robert seems to have answered this.

> And how much more time do you think will be needed for the Java2D
> stuff to work completely headless?

Well, since my last email I've commited a reimplementation of
GlyphVector on top of FreeType, which is a good piece of the puzzle.
We should probably implement Graphics.drawString() on top of either that
or using TextLayout (which we're still missing). Once that's done,
Graphics2D will only depend on the FT+Cairo libs (which are pretty
portable and don't require X) and not explicitly on GTK.

>From there, most of the remaining issues would be to just "make it
work", sorting out the build issues and stuff. Most of the refactoring
to seperate GTK/GDK stuff from the Cairo stuff has been done now in any
case, but there are probably some minor issues to work out.

> Is there anything I could help with?

Sure! There's always lots to do. If you'd like to hack on something the
easiest thing to do to advance headless support would probably be IIO
plugins.

Right now we're pretty dependent on the GdkPixbuf library for image
"natively" supported PNG, GIF, JPEG formats. So, a GIF decoder plugin in
java would be quite welcome, for instance. It'd be nice not to require
external packages at least for these formats.

/Sven