Java2D Headless

Hello Juerg,

> I wonder: Does Java2D and ImageIO work on Unix without an X Server
> installed, e.g. in a server environment or on OS X? If so: How do I
> need to compile?

Roman has been doing some work on this, however it's not ready for
production use yet, AFAIK. The existing Java2D on Cairo peers will
probably be able to work headless. They don't at this very moment
though. The main remaining dependency on GTK for headless is for fonts,
but I'm actually working on removing that right now.

> And what is the situation on Windows?

Same as above. (The Cairo libs used for offscreen drawing are portable
and shouldn't have any problems under Windows.)

> I read somewhere that ImageIO by default is based on ImageMagick. Is
> this mature, does it work well?

This is planned, but hasn't been implmented yet. At the moment there's
an ImageIO plugin based on GdkPixbuf and a pure-java BMP plugin, and a
JPEG one in the works.

So, we're not quite there yet. But since you've shown interest, I'll
keep it in mind and see what I can do once we're finished with this
overhaul. Most of the code is there, it's mostly just the font stuff
and then cleaning up the dependencies to allow for headless.

/Sven