Java2D Headless

I did not yet recieve a reply to my question bellow.

I wonder: Does Java2D and ImageIO work on Unix without an X Server
installed, e.g. in a server environment or on OS X? If so: How do I
need to compile?

And what is the situation on Windows?

I read somewhere that ImageIO by default is based on ImageMagick. Is
this mature, does it work well?

I hope someone can answer these questions or point me to another list
where I can find out more.

BTW: I'm using classpath together with GCJ.

J?rg