Some GdkGraphics2D problems disappear with G_SLICE=always-malloc

Hi Stuart,

Am Sonntag, den 02.04.2006, 18:08 -0400 schrieb Stuart Ballard:
> Just to summarize / save anyone else from digging through all those
> links, it seems the issue is that objects allocated with one API were
> being freed by another (I didn't see what the allocation API was, but
> the "free"s in question were g_free (incorrect) and g_object_unref
> (correct).
>
> g_free() is a wrapper around free() which means that it happens to
> work if the allocation API ends up being a wrapper around malloc()
> (which is why always-malloc works around the problem). When the new,
> more efficient allocator is used instead (which AIUI grabs some large
> chunks of memory and manages them itself so there are lots of objects
> per single malloc()ed chunk), free() fails, and so g_free() does too.
>
> If classpath is hitting this in the same way everyone else is, it's
> not a glib bug, it's definitely a Classpath bug.

Thanks for summarizing this. This helped me alot finding the problem. In
my case (GdkFontPeer.c) I had to replace g_free() with pango_item_free()
to make it work.

Thanks!
Roman

--
?Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads, without
Improvement, are roads of Genius.? - William Blake