still not able to change window title bar color [rant]

so I thought I was close finding these:

http://worldofgnome.org/how-to-hack-gnomes-adwaita-gtk-theme/

and I can do things like make everything red as described in the example.
But nothing that I could find lets me set just the color of the
focused window titlebar.

Some observations about my experience trying to do this:

 * Why does gnome use ~/.local and ~/.config?  They think they the
center of my fcking universe that
they take these generic names?

* How do I know if I want ~/.local or ~/.config?  Lots of functional
overlap to look at the files

* So I make my own myAdwaita theme as described.  Now do I want to
change things in metacity-1
or gtk-3.0?  They seem to overlap.  But metacity-1 doesn't seem to
have any effect, so I guess it's not that

* in metacity-1 dir, why do we have both metacity-theme-2.xml and
metacity-theme-3.xml?  Which
do I want?  They don't describe themselves.  No other files in
~/.local or ~/.config refers to either of
them.

* gnome-shell --replace causes most of my desktop to crash after a few
times, without having made any changes other than going to red and
back as described in the example.  Hard reboot required.  Guess I'll
be logout/login between every change then

Folks, this is BS.  Wanting to be able to tell which window is focused
without searching for a cursor (which is what I currently end up
doing) is not too much to ask.  Either stop prioritizing prettyness
over usability or give users some sane way to change settings.  If
you're going to stick things in ~/.dotfiles make them sane and
self-describing.

I'm starting to get the same feeling from gnome that I do from
systemd.  You post to a list about with an obvious deficiency or
advice and get... nothing.  I mean I might be in favor of systemd if
the devels appeared to care even slightly about input but they just
ignore it