wmctrl gnome3 issue

I used to use wmctrl with gnome 2.  In gnome 3 there is a problem:
wmctrl -l seems to only
know about windows that are spawned from something started from the menu system.

So if I do gvim from a terminal opened by clicking on the terminal
icon in the menu everything works.

But if I do gvim from a terminal opened by typing the hotkey that I
bound to mean "open a terminal", them wmctrl -l doesn't see the new
window.

Anyone know if there's a way to get wmctrl to list *all* windows, not
just the ones created via
the desktop interface?

Thanks,
Britton