Odd mouse and Gnome behavior with new video adapter

Hello,
  opensuse v42.1
  linux 4.1.20-11-default x86_64
  gnome 3.16.2
  asus 2560x1440 monitor

  This is an odd issue.
  I invested in a new video adapter, a VisionTek unit based on Radeon r7
360. Its performance is quite excellent. It replaces an otherwise fine
adapter, a radeon hd4770, whose fan had become irritatingly noisy.
  There appear to be two significant issues with the new adapter and the
default video driver.
  First, the pointer icon flickers. It flickers like a candle does, in a
somewhat random manner. Even weirder, it is worst at the top of the
screen and become progressively less flicker-y as the pointer moves
lower until it is about a third of the way down, where the flickering stops.
  Second, and worse, if the screen is blanked and restored, the response
time to mouse clicks becomes quite extended, initially about 2 seconds
instead of instantly. If the screen blanks again, the response stretches
to 8 seconds.
  I have turned off screen blanking/locking to prevent the issue. My
(wild-ass) guess is that the driver goes into a "sleep" mode and does
not wake up when the screen is restored.
  Neither of these was a problem with the older adapter.

  Has anyone seen such peculiar behavior?
  Is there a better forum for exploring this?

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com