Re: GNOME Chat and the future of instant messaging in gnome

> > I agree. Gnome 3 in the beginning had a strong integration with IM
> > systems. However, over time this has been set aside, and developed
> > an excellent IM application to the IRC protocol is most commonly
> > used for communication between developers (among other things).

+1 IRC.  IRC is a heavily used too often overlooked solution and
protocol.

> > A new application or empathy, refocused on the use of SIP/SIMPLE
> > and XMPP/Jingle protocols, may be the best solution for GNOME RTC.

Another new app... sigh.   As a mere user of the GNOME DE [since before
the red-carpet Ximian days] there does seem to be a tragic amount of
re-invention in recent years; abandoning well-working featureful
application in favor of partially complete very limited applications
[like GNOME Music as one example].   It seems, even from my own
experience as a developer on other projects that Open Source actually
struggles to achieve a substantive degree of collaboration.

> Note: Do not forget another alternative being updated, as Ekiga.
> http://blog.ekiga.net/?p=201

Yes.  +1 Ekiga

--
Adam Tauno Wliams <mailto:awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> GPG D95ED383