Re: GNOME Chat and the future of instant messaging in gnome

On 11/11/15 14:06, Bastián Díaz wrote:
> [...]
> client based on open source protocols RTC can make a difference.
> Redeployments have to see how XMPP client on Android, provide the user
> interfaces and features that offer popular messaging systems - as
> Whatsapp -, coupled with increased security (OTR) and capabilities for
> audio/video (voice message feature), etc.
>

>>> So I think 3 protocols must be strengthened and supported in gnome-chat:
>>
>> It is not just about chat: it is viable for voice and video too. I have
>> used Empathy for many webcam calls with XMPP users.
>>

> Gnome-chat is proposed name for an application for RTC in gnome:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Chat
> Voice and video is central in communications today.
>
>>> SIP: ReSIProcate is a recent project that enhances SIP support and
>>> plans to be used with Telepathy:
>>> https://www.resiprocate.org/Telepathy_Connection_Manager
>>
>> This actually offers an opportunity to leap-frog many of the other
>> clients. There are two parts to this:
>>
>> a) get reSIProcate working with Telepathy: this brings the benefit of
>> having a well-maintained SIP stack, with comprehensive support for
>> things like IPv6 and TLS (other SIP stacks don't cover those very well)
>>
>> b) adapting reSIProcate itself to use libjingle as the media stack.
>> This will let it inter-operate with WebRTC, e.g. anybody in a browser
>> will be able to call a GNOME desktop user.
>>
>> The combination of these things will make it work reliably in many more
>> situations and make a very, very compelling solution. E.g. the TLS
>> support helps get SIP through NAT and the WebRTC media stack has many
>> ways to get the audio and video through NAT.
>>
>> Hundreds of millions of people have already updated their browsers to
>> versions that support WebRTC, being able to interact with them directly
>> from GNOME would be amazing.
>>

> That sounds great as a development opportunity.
>
>>> XMPP/Jingle: Free messaging by definition. It includes Gabble and Salut.
>
>>> Telegram: New protocol, multi-platform, open source and very safe.
>>> There are some related projects:
>>> https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-morse [4]
>>> These three protocols can be a solid base to offer chat services
>>> gnome. There are other protocols supported in >>Telepathy, but may be
>>> offered externally depending on user/business requirements
>>> (groupwise, sametime, silc and >>zephyr)
>>
>> It is a chicken-and-egg problem. Once the underlying protocols are
>> stronger, there will be more incentive to improve the Empathy UI or make
>> an alternative. Therefore, my suggestion is to start with the
>> underlying protocols and infrastructure to support them.
>>
>> With that in mind, I have already deployed SIP services such as
>> https://rtc.debian.org [5] (for Debian) and https://fedrtc.org [6]
>> (for Fedora)
>> and would be happy to help setup a similar service for gnome.org. The
>> RTC Quick Start Guide is also provided as a free resource to help more
>> communities do this.
>>

> Is that something that benefits the user?

It provides a solid foundation for developers in communities like
Debian, Fedora and GNOME to test the different clients (Empathy,
Lumicall, Linphone, Pidgin, etc) against stable servers.

>> One other thing to keep in mind: when I suggested that Debian needs to
>> look at the default RTC (chat, voice and video) client, several people
>> responded "leave it to the GNOME package maintainers". But if GNOME is
>> not currently accepting responsibility for Empathy (as the message from
>> April suggests), then it means nobody is showing leadership at all in
>> this space, Debian is looking to GNOME and GNOME is looking to something
>> as yet undefined.
>>

> I agree. Gnome 3 in the beginning had a strong integration with IM
> systems. However, over time this has been set aside, and developed an
> excellent IM application to the IRC protocol is most commonly used for
> communication between developers (among other things).
>
> A new application or empathy, refocused on the use of SIP/SIMPLE and
> XMPP/Jingle protocols, may be the best solution for GNOME RTC.
>
> Other protocols mentioned here require some more attention to their
> actual adoption. (as telegram or tox).
>
> Note: Do not forget another alternative being updated, as Ekiga.
> http://blog.ekiga.net/?p=201

There is also Jitsi, Ring (was SFLphone) and there are others too.