Re: How do I disable Google search in Activities view?

On 12 March 2014 15:28, Patrick Chkoreff <pc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote, On 03/12/2014 10:49 AM:
>
>>> Thanks, however, I just now brought up System Settings, and I do not see
>>> an option named "Search".
>>
>> It was added at some point since the version that you're using.
>> Essentially, that panel lets you customise which search providers are
>> on and which are off, and even lets you switch it completely off.
>
> Just last week I installed Debian completely fresh on this machine.
> Surely the Search option wasn't added just in the last week.  How do I
> upgrade my Gnome shell to the version you're using?  (I may not do it,
> but I'm wondering how, just in case.)

Stable Debian is currently on 3.4, unstable Debian is on 3.8 and the
GNOME stable release which is happening in a week and a half is 3.12.
That is to say, that the "stable" Debian ships with a two year old
version of GNOME. You can try using the unstable Debian (which I hear
is actually pretty stable in terms of usage).

It's probably relatively difficult to use the same version of GNOME as
I'm using (3.10) from Debian, but I don't know how to do it as I
haven't used Debian in years.

The UI for disabling search providers was in GNOME by 3.8. It is also
possible that what you had were extensions:
http://extensions.gnome.org/