How do I disable Google search in Activities view?

Earlier I wrote:

> When I bring up the Activities view and start typing to search for an
> application, I see two icons at the bottom of the screen:
>
>   (Google)  (Wikipedia)
>
> If I type something that doesn't match an application on my computer, it
> brings up a browser window and sends my search term to Google.  I don't
> want that to happen.
>
> How do I disable the Google and Wikipedia search options in the
> Activities view?

I have now solved this problem as follows.

$ cd
$ mkdir -p bak/open-search-providers
$ sudo mv /usr/share/gnome-shell/open-search-providers/*
~/bak/open-search-providers

Then I logged out and back in.

Now when I start typing a search term in the Activities overlay screen,
I no longer see these at the bottom:

  (Google)  (Wikipedia)

-- Patrick