Logon problem in CentOS 4.4

Sorry I forgot to add Gnome to the recips
Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I have just restructured my system (repartitioned the main disk to
> separate /home from /) and I am now getting this error when I try to
> log in as a non-root user:
>
> Your session only hasted less than 10 seconds.  If you have not logged
> out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem
> or you may be out of disk space.  Try logging in with one of the
> failsafe sessoions to see if you can fix this problem.
>
> I can log in via ssh or as root, but I don't know what to fix.  Since
> I can log in via ssh, I am assuming that I have enough disk space
> (there's plenty everywhere), so I'm thinking a config problem, but
> what?
>
> Thanks.

This has happened to me more than once (Fedora Core) but I can't remember
the cause for sure. It may have been a UID problem or it may have b een a
permissions problem on ~/.dmrc. .dmrc should be -rw------- I tend to forget
numbers when I don't use them for a while.
Would that be chmod 600 /home/username/.dmrc?
Just a guess. Like I said, it's happened to me but it's been a while and
I don't
recall for sure.

Also could be permissions on /tmp. It is owned by root butt should also be
writable by you for desktop. This could give you then disk space problem
since
(or if) you are unable to write to it. I also forget this one but it
either needs SUID
or "sticky" bit? Should be drwxrwxrwt