Re: Glusterfs community status

Hi,
Here is my take on gluster today.
We experience the same type of problem as well with
failing heals and manual, timeconsuming work.
I asked the same type of question on the list
a number of months ago about the gluster project state
and my conclution on the answers is that the gluster project
has just slowed down more and more and people are leaving for
other file systems.
For a long time nothing has been released from the project and the
mailing list has just gone more and more quiet.
Gluster has served us well for many years and I think that
gluster has been a really great filesystem and it makes me
sad to see that gluster is comming to an end. I really like it!!
Internally in our organization we have had discussions and made
tests with cephfs and our decision is that we will leave
gluster and use cephfs instead.
As we do not see that gluster will improve we have no other option
then to use other filesystems and in our case it will be ceph.

I hope this helps!!

Best regards
Marcus

On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 07:53:36AM +0200, Ilias Chasapakis forumZFD wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> Hi, we at forumZFD are currently experiencing problems similar to those
> mentioned here on the mailing list especially on the latest messages.
>
> Our gluster just doesn't heal all entries and "manual" healing is long
> and tedious. Entries accumulate in time and we have to do regular
> cleanups that take long and are risky.  Despite changing available
> options with different combinations of values, the problem persists. So
> we thought, "let's go to the community meeting" if not much is happening
> here on the list. We are at the end of our knowledge and can therefore
> no longer contribute much to the list. Unfortunately, nobody was at the
> community meeting. Somehow we have the feeling that there is no one left
> in the community or in the project who is interested in fixing the
> basics of Gluster (namely the healing). Is that the case and is gluster
> really end of life?
>
> We appreciate a lot the contributions in the last few years and all the
> work done. As well as for the honest efforts to give a hand. But would
> be good to have an orientation on the status of the project itself.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> Ilias
>
> --
> forumZFD
> Entschieden für Frieden | Committed to Peace
>
> Ilias Chasapakis
> Referent IT | IT Referent
>
> Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. | Forum Civil Peace Service
> Am Kölner Brett 8 | 50825 Köln | Germany
>
> Tel 0221 91273243 | Fax 0221 91273299 | http://www.forumZFD.de
>
> Vorstand nach § 26 BGB, einzelvertretungsberechtigt|Executive Board:
> Alexander Mauz, Sonja Wiekenberg-Mlalandle, Jens von Bargen
> VR 17651 Amtsgericht Köln
>
> Spenden|Donations: IBAN DE90 4306 0967 4103 7264 00   BIC GENODEM1GLS
>

> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
> Gluster-users mailing list
> Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

* Marcus Pedersén                                *
* System administrator                           *
* Interbull Centre                               *
* ================                               *
* Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
* Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
* Uppsala, Sweden                                *
* Visiting address:                              *
* Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
* Uppsala                                        *
* Sweden                                         *
* Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *
*     ISO 9001 Bureau Veritas No SE004561-1      *
---
När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här <https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>
E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more information on how this is done, click here <https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>
________