Re: State of the gluster project

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 11:07:52PM +0300, Zakhar Kirpichenko wrote:
> I don't think it's worth it for anyone. It's a dead project since about
> 9.0, if not earlier. It's time to embrace the truth and move on.

Which is shame because I choose GlusterFS for one of my storage clusters
_specifically_ due to the ease of emergency data recovery (for purely
replicated volumes) even in case of complete failure of the software
stack and system disks - just grab the data disks, mount on a suitable
machine and copy the data off.

Anyone knows of distributed FS with similar easy emergency recovery?

(I also run Ceph, but Bluestore seems to be pretty much a black box.)

Kind regards,
           Alex.

> [...]
> > including GlusterFS (certification exams were removed, payed product went
> > EOL, etc).
> >
> > The only way to get it back on track is with a sponsor company that haves
> > the capability to drive it.
> > Kadalu is relying on GlusterFS but they are not as big as Red Hat and
> > based on one of the previous e-mails they will need sponsorship to dedicate
> > resources.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Strahil Nikolov
> >

> > On Saturday, October 28, 2023, 9:57 AM, Marcus Pedersén <
> > marcus.pedersen@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I just have a general thought about the gluster
> > project.
> > I have got the feeling that things has slowed down
> > in the gluster project.
> > I have had a look at github and to me the project
> > seems to slow down, for gluster version 11 there has
> > been no minor releases, we are still on 11.0 and I have
> > not found any references to 11.1.
> > There is a milestone called 12 but it seems to be
> > stale.
> > I have hit the issue:
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/4085
> > that seems to have no sollution.
> > I noticed when version 11 was released that you
> > could not bump OP version to 11 and reported this,
> > but this is still not available.
> >
> > I am just wondering if I am missing something here?
> >
> > We have been using gluster for many years in production
> > and I think that gluster is great!! It has served as well over
> > the years and we have seen some great improvments
> > of stabilility and speed increase.
> >
> > So is there something going on or have I got
> > the wrong impression (and feeling)?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Marcus
> > ---
> > När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina
> > personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här <
> > https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>
> > E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more
> > information on how this is done, click here <
> > https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>
> > ________
> >

> > Community Meeting Calendar:
> >
> > Schedule -
> > Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> > Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
> > Gluster-users mailing list
> > Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > ________
> >

> > Community Meeting Calendar:
> >
> > Schedule -
> > Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> > Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
> > Gluster-users mailing list
> > Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison
________