Re: GlusterFS as virtual machine storage

Il 30-08-2017 03:57 Everton Brogliatto ha scritto:
Ciao Gionatan,

I run Gluster 3.10.x (Replica 3 arbiter or 2 + 1 arbiter) to provide
storage for oVirt 4.x and I have had no major issues so far.
I have done online upgrades a couple of times, power losses,
maintenance, etc with no issues. Overall, it is very resilient.

Important thing to keep in mind is your network, I run the Gluster
nodes on a redundant network using bonding mode 1 and I have performed
maintenance on my switches, bringing one of them off-line at a time
without causing problems in my Gluster setup or in my running VMs.
Gluster recommendation is to enable jumbo frames across the
subnet/servers/switches you use for Gluster operations. Your switches
must support MTU 9000 + 208 at least.

Excellent! So anything with replica 2 + arbiter or better still replica 3 should be safe.

I had an experimental setup in replica 2 using an older version of
Gluster few years ago and it was unstable, corrupt data and crashed
many times. Do not use replica 2. As others have already said, minimum
is replica 2+1 arbiter.

Yes, I had the same experience about 3 years ago, with frequent split brains and file corruption. This was a test setup only, but it left a somewhat "bad taste" in my mouth. I'm glad to ear that stability is much better now.

If you have any questions that I perhaps can help with, drop me an
email.

If needed, I'll surely do that.
Thank for your kindness.

--