Re: GlusterFS as virtual machine storage

Il 25-08-2017 21:48 WK ha scritto:
On 8/25/2017 12:56 AM, Gionatan Danti wrote:

We ran Rep2 for years on 3.4.  It does work if you are really,really
careful,  But in a crash on one side, you might have lost some bits
that were on the fly. The VM would then try to heal.
Without sharding, big VMs take a while because the WHOLE VM file has
to be copied over. Then you might get Split-brain and have to stop the
VM, pick the good one, make sure that is healed on both sides and then
restart the VM.

Ok, so sharding needs to be enabled for VM disk storage, otherwise heal time skyrockets.

Arbiter/Replica 3 prevents that. Sharding helps a lot as well by
making the heals really quick, though in a Replica 2 with sharding you
no longer have a nice big  .img file sitting on each brick in plain
view and picking a split-brain winner is now WAY more complicated. You
would have to re-assemble things.

This concern me, and it is the reason I would like to avoid sharding. How can I recover from such a situation? How can I "decide" which (reconstructed) file is the one to keep rather than to delete?

We were quite good and fixing broken Gluster 3.4 nodes, but we are
*much* happier with the Arbiter node and sharding. It is a huge
difference.
We could go to Rep3 but we like the extra speed and we are comfortable
with the Arb limitations (we also have excellent off cluster backups
<grin>).

Also, on a two-node setup it is *guaranteed* for updates to one node to put offline the whole volume?

If you still have quorum turned on, then yes. One side goes and you are down.

On the other hand, a 3-way setup (or 2+arbiter) if free from all these problems?

Yes, you can lose one of the three nodes and after the pause,
everything just continues. If you have a second failure before you can
recover, then you have lost quorum.

If that second failure is the other actual replica, then you could get
into a situation where the arbiter isn't happy with either copy when
you come back up and of course the arbiter doesn't have a good copy
itself. Pavel alluded to something like that when describing his
problem.

That is where replica 3 helps. In theory, with replica 3, you could
lose 2 nodes and still have a reasonable copy of your VM, though
you've lost quorum and are still down. At that point, *I* would kill
the two bad nodes (STOMITH) to prevent them from coming back AND turn
off quorum. You could then run on the single node until you can
save/copy those VM images, preferably by migrating off that volume
completely. Create a remote pool using SSHFS if you have nothing else
available. THEN I would go back and fix the gluster cluster and
migrate back into it.

Replica2/Replica3 does not matter if you lose your Gluster network
switch, but again the Arb or Rep3 setup makes it easier to recover. I
suppose the only advantage of Replica2 is that you can use a cross
over cable and not worry about losing the switch, but bonding/teaming
works well and there are bonding modes that don't require the same
switch for the bond slaves. So you can build in some redundancy there
as well.

Thank you for the very valuable informations.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico